Friday, March 21, 2008

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

One Crazy Dinner

I almost forgot about the dinner post. We (meaning about 14 of us) went to dinner on Saturday night. We had an evening of fun planned. Meet around 6:00, have dinner, and then proceed to the Carnegie Crawl. Just in case you're not familiar with the Carnegie Crawl...you just basically bop around Carnegie bars. Safe? Not so sure anymore. But fun. So, we all meet at Papa J's in Carnegie. We got there a little late, and everybody else was already seated.

Now, I'm pretty lenient when it comes to bad service. Really. Here we are, a table of fourteen, and our server proceeds to tell us that it's her first night and we are her first big table. But that's OK, we plan on taking it pretty easy on her. Most of the people (ok, maybe only 5) have worked in restaurants for a long time. We've been there. She gets our drink orders, and eventually brings the drinks and takes our dinner order. She's doing OK. She's obviously stressed, and she's not getting ANY help from the manager. (and that is where I get all crabby). Her only real downfall is that she's complaining about how stressed out she is. But hey...she'll learn that the less she complains, the better her tip will be.

Anyway, the whole process is taking us forever. It's 8:00 and we're still there. We've just gotten our meals. And that was after there were a bunch of questions about our orders. And the questions came about 15 minutes after we should have been eating our dinners. But I digress....

The manager of this place completely dropped the ball. In many, many ways. Should he have given the new girl a table of 14 on a busy night? Her first night? No. Should he have been there holding her hand most of the way through this gigantic table? Yes. Did he? No. Bad, bad manager. If anything even remotely close to that ever happens at Downey's House I think that we should just close the doors. You know, even though the food was good, I will not be heading back to Papa J's any time soon. And not just because I never get to go out to dinner without my kids.

Oh, speaking of Downey's House, I got a little teenie tiny website up last night. You can download an application to send to us, if you're interested in working for us. The website is at www.downeyshouse.com. And I started a little blog at www.blog.downeyshouse.com. Go check it out :)

OK, happy day! The fridge guy is coming to fix my fridge (again), and I'm taking the kids to spend the Easter money they got from my folks.

No comments: