Thursday, March 26, 2009

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Life and Fog

Last week we had an extremely foggy day in Pittsburgh. Or, as Chloe likes to say...'poggy.' Anyway, on that particular morning I dropped Becca off at Kindergarten, and Chloe off to preschool. As I drove to the restaurant to do some work, I thought about how going through life is a lot like driving in the fog.

Let me explain.

I know my way to the restaurant like the back of my hand. It really didn't matter that it was foggy at all. My brain knew all the right turns to make. I didn't have to look for any signs or landmarks. I knew they were there before I even saw them. I think that's what it's like going through a comfortable stretch in your life. You just go on auto pilot. You know where you are. You go there every day. It is your every day.

But what if you want to go some place else? I am at a point in my life where I think I know where I want to go. I believe I know what I want. If I were driving in the fog, but wasn't driving my normal route, it would be a bit more challenging. I would have to look for signs and landmarks where I needed to turn. In life, sometimes I pass these signs up, and have to go around the long way. I don't have a map, but rather a general idea of where I'm going.

Maybe I need a map.

How about you? Do you know where you want to be? Are you in your same comfortable routine drive, but want to go someplace else? First off, you need to figure out where you're going. If you are driving around in the fog...no map...and no idea where your final destination is...you will just be driving around.

To be more specific, I know that I would like to make a living online. I have already started doing this (and will be creating a new blog soon about how I make money online), but I'm not making a living. I also want to push Downey's House a bit further. I'm a little more unsure of exactly what I want here. Will it be an additional location? Will it be another restaurant all together? Not sure. But that's after the online stuff.

I know that I want to spend time with my children. And I'm doing a pretty good job at that. I know that some day I want to have enough money to enjoy life a bit more. Travel some. Spend time with my husband.

So, what's the point? I guess it's this: I've made some goals and I'm working towards reaching them. But as I speak with friends and family, most are not quite sure where they're going. Pick some goals, dammit.

Wow, that was a lot of back and forth babbling. Well, I'm on vacation, and being on vacation means that I get to think about life and where I'm going. Don't worry. I'll be back to 'work' soon. And I'll stop being so....um.....'thinky.'

No comments: